In Excel, there are two significant ways you can use to share your Excel file (Workbook) with others:
- Add it to Cloud (Like OneDrive) and then Share it with others.
- Send it through an E-Mail.
In this tutorial, we are going to learn both methods in detail. So, let’s get started.
In Excel (Office 365), there are multiple ways that you can use to share the file.
- First, using the Save As option, you need your file to the one drive. This is precisely the same way that you use to save your files normally. Here, you need to change the location to OneDrive Instead of your system.
- Once you save your file to OneDrive, return to the workbook and click the Share drop-down button on the top right corner of the Excel Window.
- From here, you need to click on the copy link option to get the link to the active workbook.
- Next, it will show you a dialog box with the link to the workbook. This will automatically copy the link to the clipboard.
You can share this link with others so that they can access the file.
Giving Access to an E-mail
You can also share access to an e-mail ID directly. For this, you need to click on the share button from the top right of the Window.
When you click the send button, it sends an e-mail to the user with the link to access the workbook.
Only Sharing the Worksheet
It also allows you to share the link to the current worksheet with a user. When you click the Share drop-down, you can get the shareable link only to the current worksheet.
Changing Access Type
When you share a workbook with a link, you can change the access you want to give the user. In more settings, you can select between edit and view.
Set an Expiration Date
The link which you share can also be date specific. When you apply a date, it will expire after that is passed.
Set a Password
And in the same way, you can also set a password to the file for sharing it with other users.
With this, the user must enter the password before accessing the workbook.
As I said, there is another way to share the workbook with others. For this, once you go to the File Tab, click on the “Share” option.
Here you have two options to use:
- Send as Attachment – When you click this button, it opens your default e-mail client and attaches the workbook by composing a new e-mail.
- Send a Link – When you click this button, it opens the e-mail client with the new e-mail and paste the link to the workbook.
You can use both ways to share the workbook with others. But there’s a slight difference between these two methods.
When you share the entire file, it won’t share the future changes with the user, but when you share the file link, it also shares all the changes that you make in future with the user who has the link.
Note: You can attach the workbook to an e-mail and then send it to the user you want to share it with.