You can use the find and replace dialog box to remove brackets from a range of cells or even from a single cell in Excel. You can specify the bracket that you want to replace and blank values to replace with.
In this tutorial, we will look at a few ways to remove brackets from values in Excel.
Steps to Remove Brackets in Excel (Find and Replace)
You can use the following steps:
- First, select the range of cells from where you want to remove the brackets.
- After that, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + H to open the find and replace option.
- Now, enter the starting parentheses “(” in the Find what input bar, left the Replace with input bar blank, and then click Replace All.
- This will replace starting parentheses with a blank value.
- From here, you need to remove the ending parentheses as well. So enter the ending parentheses in the Find what input bar, left Replace with input bar blank.
- In the end, click Replace All to replace it.
This is a two-step method where you remove the starting bracket and the ending bracket.
Formula to Remove Brackets in Excel
You can also use the formula to remove brackets from a cell or a range of cells. And for this, you need to use the Excel SUBSTITUTE function.
With SUBSTITUTE, you can refer to a cell, specify a value you want to replace, and a new value to replace. Here you have two SUBSTITUTE functions; one is wrapping another. The first removes the starting bracket:
And then, the second SUBSTITUTE removes the ending bracket using the value returned by the first SUBSTITUTE.
You can also use a VBA code to remove the parentheses from the selected cells.
Sub remove_parenthese() 'this will replace the starting parentheses. Selection.Replace What:="(", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _ SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _ ReplaceFormat:=False 'this will replace the ending parentheses. Selection.Replace What:=")", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _ SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _ ReplaceFormat:=False End Sub
You need to select the cells and then just run this code.