Have you ever wondered how you can horizontally sort data in Excel? I mean, you can sort columns like you sort rows. Want to know the best part?
So today, in this post, I’d like to share with you a simple step to horizontally sort data. And apart from this, I‘d also like to share a simple tweak that you can do to sort columns in the custom order.
Steps to Sort Columns in Excel
- First of all, select the data you want to sort.
- Go to Data Tab → Sort & Filter → Click on Sort Button. Now, you will get a pop-up window.
- You can also use the shortcut key Alt + A + S + S for sorting pop-up windows.
- Click on the options button → Select sort left to right & click OK.
- Now select the row on the basis of which you want to sort your data & click OK.
Congratulations! You have horizontally sorted your data.
With Excel tables, you are not able to use this technique.
[Custom Order] Horizontal Sorting
In real life, there is more need to sort your columns in a custom order rather than using an alphabetic order. Follow these simple steps.
- Add a temporary heading row on the top of your data set & use numbers for creating a custom order.
- Now, open your sorting window.
- And, sort columns by using your temporary row as a base.
- After that, just delete the temporary heading now.