In Excel, you can use a custom order to sort data. For this, you need to use the custom list. There are a few pre-made lists that you can use, or you can create a new list also.
- Create a Custom List
- Sort using the Custom List
Let’s use the data that we have in the example here. In this data, we have a list of names and need to sort based on the age category.
Part-1: Create a Custom List
- Go to the Home Tab > More > Options > Advanced > Edit Custom List.
- In the custom list dialog box, enter the list entries in a sequence in which you want to sort the data.
- Or you can also get it from the range using the range selection and import buttons.
- In the end, click OK.
Part-2: Steps to Custom Sort in Excel
- Select the data and open the SORT dialog box. Data > Sort. Or you can also use the keyboard shortcut Alt > A > S > S.
- From the “Sort by” dialog box, select the column “Age Category”.
- After that, from the “Order” dialog box, select “Custom List”.
- And then select the list you have just created new.
- Finally, click OK twice to sort the data using the selected custom list.
And the moment you click OK, it sorts data using the age category you created before sorting.