To convert a time in Excel into seconds, you need to multiply that value by 86400. This is the total number of seconds that we have in a single day, and Excel stores time as decimals (1 is equivalent to 24 hours). Now when you multiply time by the total number of seconds, it returns the number of seconds according to that time.
Formula to Convert Time to Seconds
You can use the below steps:
- First, enter the equal to (=) operator.
- Next, refer to the cell where you have the time value.
- Now, enter the asterisk to multiply.
- After that, enter 86400.
- In the end, hit enter to get the result.
Once you enter the above formula in a cell you need to have the cell format as “General“, so that you can have the number value in the cell.
Convert Total Time into Seconds
If you have a time value that is the total of multiple time values, you can still use the same formula.
In cell A3, we have the sum and in cell A5, we have used the same formula to get the total seconds from the time value.
Get the Excel File
- Add Hours to Time in Excel
- Add Minutes to Time in Excel
- Calculate the Time Difference Between Two Times in Excel
- Change Time Format in Excel
- Military Time (Get and Subtract) in Excel
- Separate Date and Time in Excel
- Convert an Excel Time Value into a Decimal Number (Hours)
- Convert Minutes into Hours and Minutes (HH:MM)
- Convert Time Value into Minutes (Excel Formula)
- Get Current Time
- Sum Time in Excel
- Add Seconds to Time
- Convert Seconds to Hours and Minutes