Experts know the importance of serial numbers. Serial numbers are like salt. You never feel their presence but their absence makes your data tasteless.
Yes, they are important.
Because with a serial number you can have a unique identity to each entry of your data.
But the sad news is, adding them manually is a pain. It’s really hard to add a number in every row one after another.
The good news is, there are some ways which we can use to automatically add serial numbers in a column.
14 Ways to Insert Serial Number Column in Excel
And today, in this post, I’d like to share with you 14-Quick Methods. You can use any of these methods which you think is perfect for you.
These methods can generate numbers up to a specific number or can add a running column of numbers. Choose one of the below methods as per your need and if you think you have a way, then please share it with me in the comment section.
Method #3 (Fastest)
Method #5 (My Favorite ?)
Method #8 (VBA Code)
Method #12 (For Pivot Table Lovers)
If you have data whether small or large it is must to add serial numbers to it. The one thing which you really need to understand that a serial number give a unique identity to each entry.
And, with all the methods you have learned above it’s no big deal to create a serial number column in the data, no matter which situation you are in.
I hope you found this useful, but now, tell me one thing.
Which method do you prefer to insert serial numbers?
Please share your views with me in the comment section. I'd love to hear from you and please don’t forget to share it with your friends, I am sure they will appreciate it.
This tutorial is a part of our Basic Excel Skills, and if you want to sharpen your existing Excel Skills, checkout these Excel Tips and Tricks. But if you are just getting started with Excel, check out this tutorial on Excel Basics.
- Excel Quick Access Toolbar
- How to Insert a Timestamp in Excel
- Excel Formula Bar
- How to Apply Strikethrough in Excel
- How to Insert Bullet Points in Excel
- How to Convert Negative Number into Positive in Excel
- How to Insert a Check Mark Symbol in Excel
- How to Conbine a RANGE of Cells in Excel
- How to Convert a Formula to Value in Excel
- How to Insert/Type DEGREE Symbol in Excel
- How to Insert Delta Symbol in Excel
- How to Multiply in Excel using Paste Special
- Fill Justify in Excel
- How to use Format Painter in Excel
- How to Select Non-Contiguous Cells in Excel
- How to Highlight Blank Cells in Excel
About the Author
Puneet is using Excel since his college days. He helped thousands of people to understand the power of the spreadsheets and learn Microsoft Excel. You can ﬁnd him online, tweeting about Excel, on a running track, or sometimes hiking up a mountain.