To use SUMIF to sum values based on date as criteria, you can refer to the cell where you have the date, or you can input the date inside the function directly. In SUMIFS, you have the criteria argument and in this argument; you need to specify the date for which you want to sum values.
In this tutorial, we will learn to use Excel’s SUMIF function on a date.
Use SUMIF by Date in Excel
- First, enter
=SUMIF(the cell where you want the sum.
- After that, refer to the date column, range A2:A15.
- Next, in the criteria argument, refer to the cell where you have the date.
- Now, in the last argument, refer to the sum column, range B2:B15.
- In the end, enter the closing parentheses and hit enter to get the result.
With the formula above, you get the sum for the date “15-Oct-2022” in the result.
You can also enter the date within the function argument as a value.
=SUMIF(A2:A15,"15-Oct-2022",B2:B15) =SUMIF(A2:A15,DATE(2022,10,15),B2:B15) =SUMIF(A2:A15,"15-10-2022",B2:B15)
SUM Before or After a Date using SUMIF
You can also use a logical operator with the date to sum before or after a specific date. In the following example, we have a greater than sign with the date.
When you hit enter, it returns, 2028, which is the total of the date 15-Nov-2022.
In the same way, you can use a lower than (<) operator to sum based on dates lower than the date in cell d4.
Here are some other operators that you can use:
- Not equal to <>
- Greater than or equal to >=
- Lower than and equal to <= =
Get the Excel FileDownload
- Sum Greater than Values using SUMIF
- Sum Not Equal Values (SUMIFS) in Excel
- SUMIF / SUMIFS with an OR Logic in Excel
- SUMIF with Wildcard Characters in Excel
- SUMIFS Date Range (Sum Values Between Two Dates Array)
- Combine VLOOKUP with SUMIF
- Sum IF Cell Contains a Specific Text (SUMIF Partial Text)
- Sum Values Based on Year (SUMIF Year)
- SUMIF Non-Blank (Sum Values for Non-Empty Cells)
- Use SUMIF to Sum Blank Values or Empty Cells
- Sum Values Less Than a Particular Value (SUMIF Less Than)
- Sum Values that are Greater Than Zero (SUMIF)
- Sum Values Based on the Month (SUMIF)
⇠ Back to Top Excel Formulas List