Written by Puneet for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016, Excel 2019, Excel for Mac
What is EXCEL CELL FUNCTION
The Excel CELL Function is listed under Microsoft Excel’s Information Functions category. It returns some specific information about the cell. You can select (which you can specify in the function) from the multiple types of information to get in the result.
How to use it
To learn how to use the CELL function in Excel, you need to understand its syntax and arguments:
- info_type: Type of information you want to check about a cell. You have a drop-down to select which type of information you required about the reference.
- [reference]: Cell for which you want to get the information.
- If you change the format of a cell to update the result in the function then you need to recalculate the worksheet.
- Please check below format codes that can be returned by the CELL function.
To master CELL function we need to try it out in an example and below is one which you can try out:
In the below example, we have used all the parameters to get information about a cell. You can use this function with other functions where you need to use information about a cell.
Make sure to check out this Basic Excel Tutorial, this is a guide that will help you to get started with Excel, and after that, here we have a list of EXCEL TIPS to make you an advanced Excel user in no time.
This tutorial is the part of our Excel Functions with Examples (Function Guide) and below are some of the related functions:
- EXCEL ERROR.TYPE Function
- EXCEL INFO Function
- EXCEL ISBLANK Function
- EXCEL ISERR Function
- EXCEL ISERROR Function
- EXCEL ISEVEN Function
- EXCEL ISFORMULA Function
- EXCEL ISLOGICAL Function
- EXCEL ISNA Function
- EXCEL ISNONTEXT Function
- EXCEL ISNUMBER Function
- EXCEL ISODD Function
- EXCEL ISREF Function
- EXCEL ISTEXT Function
- EXCEL N Function
- EXCEL NA Function
- EXCEL SHEET Function
- EXCEL SHEETS Function
- EXCEL TYPE Function