Use Excel TRANSPOSE Function to change the orientation of a range. In simple words, by using transpose function in excel you can change the data from a row into a column and from a column into a row.
- array An array or a range you want to transpose.
More Information on Excel Transpose Function
- You have to apply TRANSPOSE Function as an array formula using the same number of cells as you have in your source range by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Enter.
- If you select cells less than source range, it will transpose data only for those cells. For example, In source range, you have 8 cells and in destination range, you have selected 6 cells then it will only transpose data from 6 cells.
- You can also use paste special option to transpose data.
Please follow below steps to understand how does excel transpose function work to convert a row into a column or vice versa.
- In the below example, we want to transpose data from range B2:D4 to range G2 to I4.
- Go to cell G2 and select cell range up to I4.
- Enter below formula in cell G2 and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
- TRANSPOSE has converted data from the rows into columns. And, the formula which you have applied is an array formula, you cannot change any single cell from it.
To learn more about Excel TRANSPOSE Function you can check Microsoft’s Help Section. And, if you have a unique idea to use it, I would love to hear from you.