1. Shortcut Key to Apply Strikethrough to a Cell
Let’s say you’re in hurry and don’t want to waste your time, then a keyboard shortcut is a perfect option for you. To apply strikethrough on a cell you can use:
And, if you are using Mac then you can use the shortcut key:
2. Add a Strikethrough Button to QAT
You might be wondering. Yes, that’s right we can add a button on QAT for strikethrough and then a single click every time. Here are the steps for this one time set up.
- First of all, go to File ➜ Options ➜ Quick Access Toolbar.
- After that, from “Choose commands from” select “Commands Not in the Ribbon”.
- Now, select “Strikethrough” from the list and add it to the QAT.
- Click OK.
Now you have an icon of QAT and you can apply strikethrough with a single click.
This button also works if you want to apply it on a particular part of a text and on multiple cells.
3. Apply Strikethrough from Format Option
The real thing is here.
As I said there is no direct option in Excel for strikethrough, but actually, there’s a option which you can access from format options.
This is what you need to do.
- Select all the cells on which you want to apply it.
- Use sthortcut key ctrl + 1 to open the format options.
- In font tab, tick mark the strikethrough option.
- Click OK.
It works same like other options. You can apply it on multiple cells and on the partial text.
Want to know the best part?
You can also access to other formatting options which are no where on the ribbon through the same.
4. Run a VBA Code to Apply Strikethrough
5. Use Conditional Formatting to Apply Strikethrough
Whenever you mark a check box, the text in the corresponding cell will get a cut through line. Here’s how can you this.
- First of all, insert check box in the worksheet.
- After that, link to cell A1 and change font color of A1 to white.
- Select cell B1, go to Home Tab → Styles → Conditional Formatting → New Rule.
- Select “Use a formula to determine which cell to format” option.
- Enter =IF(A1=TRUE,TRUE,FALSE)in the formula input bar.
- Now, click on format option and tick mark the strikethrough.
- Click OK twice.
Now, whenever you tick the checkbox, the text in the cell will get a cut line on it.
[Bonus Tip] Apply Strikethrough in Excel Online
If you use Excel web app then you must be happy because there is an option there on Ribbon which you can use to apply strikethrough.
Now tell me one thing. Do you have any other method to apply strikethrough? And, which one is your favorite method? Share with me the comment section, I would love to hear from you. And, please don’t forget to share this tip with your friends.
About the Author
Puneet is using Excel since his college days. He helped thousands of people to understand the power of the spreadsheets and learn Microsoft Excel. You can ﬁnd him online, tweeting about Excel, on a running track, or sometimes hiking up a mountain.