Written by Puneet for Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016, Excel 2019, Excel for Mac
- To make changes in a font, you need to use the VBA Font object.
- There is a total of 18 properties with the font object that you can access and make changes.
VBA Font Object
In VBA, there is a font object which you can use to change properties of the font from a cell, like, font color, font size, font type, and you can also apply bold and italic to the font.
To use it, first, you need to define the cell address, which you can specify in the following ways.
Selection.Font Range("A1").Font Cells(1, 1).Font Range("A1:A5").Font
VBA Font Color
To change the color of the font, you have two different ways:
1. Using Color Constants
Excel has a few color constants that you can use to apply color to the font. For example, if you want to apply the red color to the font in the cell A1, the code would be like below:
Range("A1").Font.Color = vbRed
In the above code, after the font object, color is the property and you have used the vbRed constant that tells VBA to apply the red color to the cell A1. There is a total of eight constants that you can use:
- vbBlack: Black
- vbRed: Red
- vbGreen: Green
- vbYellow: Yellow
- vbBlue: Blue
- vbMagenta: Magenta
- vbCyan: Cyan
- vbWhite: White
2. Using RGB
You can also use the RGB color code to apply color to the font. RGB is the combination of red, green, and blue colors, where you can create a custom color using the code. Let’s say if you want to apply a combination of green and blue color to cell A1 the code would be:
Range("A1").Font.Color = RGB(0, 255, 255)
VBA Font Size
Font object also gives you access to the size property of the font. Let’s say you want to apply the font size of 16 to the font in the cell A1, the code would be:
Range("A1").Font.Size = 16
If you want to apply font size to all cell in a worksheet you can use the following code:
Cells.Font.Size = 16
And if only want to apply font size to cells where you have data, the code would be:
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Font.Size = 16
Or to the selected cell.
Selection.Font.Size = 16
VBA Font Name
In the same way, you can also change the font name using the name property of the font object. Let’s say you want to apply “Consolas” font the cell A1. The code would be:
Range("A1").Font.Name = "Consolas"
While using this property, you need to type the correct name of the font that you want to apply, and if somehow the name is incorrect, it won’t show you an error.
VBA Font Bold, Italic, and Underline
There are also properties that you can use to make the font bold, italic, and underline. Below are the codes that you need to write for this.
Range("A1").Font.Bold = True Range("A1").Font.Italic = True Range("A1").Font.Underline = True
With these properties, you need to define TRUE or FALSE. So if the font is already bold or italic and you want to remove it, then you need to use FALSE to remove them.
Other Useful Font Properties
Here add a few more properties that can be useful for you (Strikethrough, Subscript, and Superscript).
Range("A1").Font.Strikethrough = True Range("A1").Font.Subscript = True Range("A1").Font.Superscript = True
- How to Set (Get and Change) Cell Value using a VBA Code
- How to Sort a Range using VBA in Excel
- How to Create a Named Range using VBA (Static + Dynamic) in Excel
- How to Merge and Unmerge Cells in Excel using a VBA Code
- How to Check IF a Cell is Empty using VBA in Excel
- VBA ClearContents (from a Cell, Range, or Entire Worksheet)
- How to AutoFit (Rows, Column, or the Entire Worksheet) using VBA
- How to use OFFSET Property with the Range Object or a Cell in VBA
- VBA Wrap Text (Cell, Range, and Entire Worksheet)
- How to Copy a Cell\Range to Another Sheet using VBA
- How to use Range/Cell as a Variable in VBA in Excel
- How to Find Last Rows, Column, and Cell using VBA in Excel
- How to use ActiveCell in VBA in Excel
- How to use Special Cell Method in VBA in Excel
- How to Apply Borders on a Cell using VBA in Excel
- How to Refer to the UsedRange using VBA in Excel
- How to Change Row Height/Column Width using VBA in Excel
- How to Select All the Cells in a Worksheet using a VBA Code
- How to Insert a Row using VBA in Excel
- How to Insert a Column using VBA in Excel