To check if a cell is empty you can use VBA’s ISEMPTY function. In this function, you need to use the range object to specify the cell that you want to check, and it returns true if that cell is empty, otherwise false. You can use a message box or use a cell to get the result.
Use VBA to Check IF a Cell is Empty
- Start with the function name “IsEmpty”.
- Specify the cell that you want to check.
- Use a message box or a cell to get the result value.
- In the end, run the code.
Check IF Multiple Cells Empty
If you want to check and count the empty cells from a range when you need to loop through each cell in the range.
Sub vba_check_empty_cells() Dim i As Long Dim c As Long Dim myRange As Range Dim myCell As Range Set myRange = Range("A1:A10") For Each myCell In myRange c = c + 1 If IsEmpty(myCell) Then i = i + 1 End If Next myCell MsgBox _ "There are total " & i & " empty cell(s) out of " & c & "." End Sub
The above code loops through each cell in the range A1:A10 and check each cell one by one using the ISEMPTY function if it’s empty or not.
And for each empty cell it takes a count, and in the end, shows a message box with the total number of cells and empty cells out of that.
Use the following code if you want to highlight empty cells as well.
Dim i As Long Dim c As Long Dim myRange As Range Dim myCell As Range Set myRange = Range("A1:A10") For Each myCell In myRange ' c = c + 1 If IsEmpty(myCell) Then myCell.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 87, 87) i = i + 1 End If Next myCell MsgBox _ "There are total " & i & " empty cell(s) out of " & c & "."
- Count Rows using VBA in Excel
- Excel VBA Font (Color, Size, Type, and Bold)
- Excel VBA Hide and Unhide a Column or a Row
- Excel VBA Range – Working with Range and Cells
- Apply Borders on a Cell using VBA in Excel
- Find Last Row, Column, and Cell using VBA in Excel
- Insert a Row using VBA in Excel
- Merge Cells in Excel using a VBA Code
- Select a Range/Cell using VBA in Excel
- SELECT ALL the Cells in a Worksheet using VBA
- ActiveCell in VBA in Excel
- Special Cells Method in VBA in Excel
- UsedRange Property in VBA in Excel
- VBA AutoFit (Rows, Column, or the Entire Worksheet)
- VBA ClearContents (from a Cell, Range, or Entire Worksheet)
- VBA Copy Range to Another Sheet + Workbook
- VBA Enter Value in a Cell (Set, Get and Change)
- VBA Insert Column (Single and Multiple)
- VBA Named Range | (Static + from Selection + Dynamic)
- VBA Range Offset
- VBA Sort Range | (Descending, Multiple Columns, Sort Orientation
- VBA Wrap Text (Cell, Range, and Entire Worksheet)