I have been always fascinated with info-graphics and story-based visuals. These kinds of things help me to tell a story with data. A pictograph is a great example of this. But apart from this, there is a chart in Excel about which most of us are not aware of.
That’s called: People Graph
It was first introduced with Microsoft Excel 2013 to help people to create infographics. In a people graph, instead of column, bar or a line, we have icons to present the data. And, it looks nice and professional.Today, in this post, I’d like to share with simple steps to insert a people graph in Excel and the option which we can use with it.So let’s get started.
7 Steps to Insert a People Graph in Excel
Creating a people graph in Excel is simple and easy, we just need few clicks. Here is the data table which I’m using here, you can download it from here to follow along.
- First of all, go to Insert Tab -> Add-Ins -> click on the small green button.
- It will insert a people graph with dummy data.
- Now, your next step is to connect data with the chart.
- Click on data icon and then click on select your data button.
- Now, select the data table and click on create button.
- The last thing is to all a title for your chart.
- Again click on the data icon and change the default title to the desired title.
Congratulations! Your first info-graphic is ready to tell its story. It’s a proud moment.
Customization and Other Options
As I said it’s easy to insert a people graph. But, there some customization options which can do after that.
1. Chart Type
There are 3 pre-defined charts types which we can use. Click on the setting button and select a type which you want.
We can also use different themes for our chart. There are 7 pre-defined themes which we can use. Click on the setting button and select a type which you want.
3. Shape (Icon)
We can’t use a single shape for all types of data. So that’s why there are 12 different shapes from which we can select. Click on the setting button and select a shape which you want.
4. Save as Image
There is an option to save it as an image. With this, we can use it further in PowerPoint, sent it in an email, upload to the web, etc.
- When you update any value in the source data, make sure to click on the graph once to update it.
- You can also paste it as an image in the worksheet by copy paste.
Infographics are superb in presenting data in a vivid way. And I believe that creating a people graph in Excel is really fun.
You can also use it in your dashboards and templates to give them an awesome look and for an effective way to make others understand data. I’m sure you found this graph useful and it will help you in your work.
Now tell me one thing.
Have you ever tried this before? And do you think we can use it in our dashboards?
Please share your views in the comment section, I would love to hear from you. And, don’t forget to share this charting tip with your friends.
More Charting Tips and Tutorials
- How to Add a Horizontal Line in a Chart in Excel
- How to Add a Vertical Line in a Chart in Excel
- How to Create a Bullet Chart in Excel
- How to Create a Dynamic Chart Range in Excel
- How to Create a Dynamic Chart Title in Excel
- How to Create Interactive Charts In Excel
- How to Create a Sales Funnel Chart in Excel
- How to Create a HEAT MAP in Excel
- How to Create a HISTOGRAM in Excel
- How to Create a Pictograph in Excel
- How to Create a Milestone Chart in Excel
- How to Create PIVOT CHART in Excel
- How to Create a Population Pyramid Chart in Excel
- How to Create a SPEEDOMETER Chart [Gauge] in Excel
- How to Create a Step Chart in Excel
- How to Create a Thermometer Chart in Excel
- How to Create a Tornado Chart in Excel
- How to Create Waffle Chart in Excel