Last week, I got an email from one of my subscribers with a question.
You know, the thing for which he asked is a common kind of tasks.
I am sure, this often happens with you, when you get some numeric values which are in negative, and after that, you convert them into positive.
There is no #rocketscience in this.
But have you ever checked how my different methods you have to do this? Well, I am always curious to know about different methods to do a task in Excel.
So this time I grabbed a paper and listed all the methods which I can use to convert a negative number into positive.
And you will be amazed that I have got 7 different ways which you can use to deal with negative numbers.
So today in this post, I’d like to share all those methods with you...
...let's get started.
Top 7 Methods to Change Negative Number into Positive
(1). Multiply with Minus One to Convert a Positive Number
Unlike me, if you are good at maths, I am sure you know that when you multiply two minus signs with each other, the result is always positive.
So you can use the same method in excel to convert a negative number into positive.
All you have to do just multiply a negative value with -1 and it will return the positive number instead of negative.
Below you have a range of cells with negative numbers.
So to convert them into positive you just need to enter the formula in cell B2 and drag it up to the last cell.
Note: If you have mixed numbers (both positive and negative) then you can use the below method instead.
(2). Convert to an Absolute Number with ABS Function
You just have to refer a negative number into the function and it will turn it into a positive value.
- In the below example, you have negative values from range A2:A11.
- Enter =ABS(A2) into B2 and drag it up to the last cell.
Note: This function works even when you have mixed numbers (both positive and negative).
- First of all, in any cell in your worksheet, enter -1.
- After that, copy it.
- Now, select the range of cells in which you have negative numbers.
- Right Click -> Paste Special -> Operations -> Multiply.
- In the end, click OK.
Now, all the negative number are converted into positive.
The only thing you need to take care is that this is not a dynamic method. So, you need to do it again and again if you frequently update your data.
But this method is quick and easy to use, and you don’t need any formula.
(4). Remove Negative Sign with Flash Fill
I am sure you have used flash fill once in your lifetime and if not, you must use it, it’s a game changer.
This is an insane method to turn negative numbers into positive, here are the steps.
- First of all, in cell B2, enter the positive number for the negative number you have in cell A2.
- After that, come to cell B3 and press shortcut key Ctrl + E.
- At this point, in B column, you have all the numbers in the positive form.
- Now, click on the small icon you have on the right side of column B and select “Accept Suggestions”.
Congratulations, you have converted all the negative numbers into positive with flash fill.
Note: This method is also not a dynamic one, but quick and easy to use.
(5). Apply Custom Formatting to Show as Positive Numbers
This is also a possibility that instead of converting a negative number you just want to show it as a positive number. And in this situation, you can use custom formatting.
Here are the steps to this.
- First of all, select the range of the cells you need to convert into positive numbers.
- After that, press shortcut key Ctrl + 1. It will open the custom formatting options.
- Now, go to “Custom” and in type input bar, enter “#,###;#,###”.
- In the end, click OK.
This will show all the negative numbers as positive. But, in actual these all are still a negative number, just formatting is changed.