Have you ever wondered that you can horizontally sort data in Excel? I mean, you can sort columns like you sort rows.
This is a useful option to streamline columns or if you want to arrange them in alphabetic order.
Want to know the best part?
You just need 5 seconds for this.
So today, in this post, I’d like to share with you simple step to horizontally sort data. And apart from this, I ‘d also like to share a simple tweak which you can do to sort columns in custom order.
So let’s get started.
Steps to Sort Columns in Excel
- First of all, select the data you want to sort.
- Go to Data Tab → Sort & Filter → Click on Sort Button. Now, you will get a pop-up window.
- You can also use the shortcut key Alt + A + S + S for sorting pop-up window.
- Click on options button → Select sort left to right & click OK.
- Now select the row on the basis of which you want to sort your data & click OK.
Congratulations! you have horizontally sort your data.
Important Note: With Excel tables your are not able to use this technique.
[Custom Order] Horizontal Sorting
In real life, there is more need to sort your columns in a custom order rather than using an alphabetic order.
Follow these simple steps.
- Add a temporary heading row on the top of your data set & use numbers for creating a custom order.
- Now, open your sorting window.
- And, sort columns by using your temporary row as a base.
- After that, just delete the temporary heading now.
It’s the biggest time saver when you have large data sets, 50-100 column. Once you sort all of them, it’s easy to find a column from an alphabetic order.
And, the best thing is you can sort columns in custom order using this method instead of copy-pasting them one by one.
I hope this tip will help you to get better at Excel.
Now tell me one thing. Have you ever tried this method before? Please share with me in the comment section.
And, please don’t forget to share this tip with your friends.