Ever faced a situation where you need to generate random letters?
Well, sometimes you do need to generate some random alphabets.
…but we don’t have any particular function to generate letters.
Today, I’d like to share with you an amazing formula trick to generate random letters in Excel.
And, the best part is it’s simple and easy to use.
So what's the Formula to Generate Random Letters in Excel?
As I said, there is no direct function in excel which can help you to get random letters/alphabets.
But, you can use a combination of RANDBETWEEN and CHAR to create a formula to get random letters.
If you want to Generate CAPITAL Random Letters
In this formula, you need to use 65 and 90 for the random letter to be in the capital letter.
or if you want to Generate small Random Letters:
In this formula, you need to use 97 and 122 for the random letter to be in the capital letter.
...how this formula works
Now, let me tell you how does this formula generate these letters.
First of all, you have to understand that this formula works in two different parts.
In the first part, you have RANDBETWEEN function which can generate random numbers for you.
You just have to specify the lowest number and highest number and it will return a random number from that range.
In short, you will get a random number in result within the range.
Now, in the second part, you have CHAR function which can return a specific character when you specify a number in it.
That means for each character there is a specific number you have to insert in CHAR function.
And numbers 65 to 90 represent capital letters and 97 to 122 small letters.
If you enter 65 in CHAR it will return “A” and for 97 it will return “a”.
The Bottom Line is:
- When you specify any of the above range in RANDBETWEEN returns a random number.
- And after that CHAR returns a character for that number.
This is the whole story.
In the end,
The formula you have used above is simple and easy to apply, there’s no doubt about it.
The best use of this method in the real world which I have found is…
…you can generate random groups for participants based on alphabets.
Do you have any other method to create random letters?
Make sure to share your views with me in the comment section, I'd love to hear from you and please, don’t forget to share this post with your friends, I am sure they will appreciate it.
You Must Read these Next
- How to Add Insert Bullet Points in Excel: A few days back I have realized that actually, we can use 8 different ways to...
- Sort Horizontally in Excel: In this post, I’d like to share with you simple step to horizontally sort data...
- Fill Justify to Merge Text: The single core motive to use fill justify in excel is to merge the data from multiple...
- Add Serial Numbers in Excel: Serial numbers are like salt. You never feel their presence but their absence makes...
- Excel Wildcard Characters: These wildcard characters are all about searching/looking up for a text with a partial
- Excel 3D Reference: It’s is like three-dimensional chart or image which has more than one phase. A normal range is...