How to use these Custom Date Formats
To all the formats which I have mentioned above you need to follow below steps.
- Select the cell where you want to apply the format.
- Now, press right click and select "Format Cell". Or, you can also use a keyboard shortcut Ctrl + 1 to open format cell options.
- After that select custom and enter the format in the input bar and click OK.
#1 - Day Name
This one is my favorite. If you are working on some dates where you want to get the day name only, this custom date format can help you.
And, if you want to get the day name in short form, you can use below format.
#2 - Day Number
Just like the day name if you want to get the day number you can use this custom format.
#3 - Month Name
This custom date format will help you to get month name for your date value. And, you can also add some custom text as per your requirement.
“Current Month is:” mmmm
#4 - Date with a Day Name
This format gives help you a date with a day name in the end.
Long Textual Date
And, if you want a long textual date you can do this by using this below format.
“Today is Day” d”, Month” m “& Year” yyyy.
Now tell me one thing. Do you have any format which you use? Share with me in the comment section.
Must Learn Excel Tutorials
- The [Secret Formula] to Calculate Age in Excel Using Date of Birth
- How to use DATEDIF [Mysterious] Function in Excel + Sample File
- The Top 3 Ways To Get End of the Month Date in Excel
- 5 Methods Excel Experts Use To Get [Extract] a Month Name from a Date
- SUMIFS is the Best Method to SUM Values Between Two Dates in Excel
About the Author
Puneet is using Excel since his college days. He helped thousands of people to understand the power of the spreadsheets and learn Microsoft Excel. You can ﬁnd him online, tweeting about Excel, on a running track, or sometimes hiking up a mountain.