Excel RAND Function is the best fit to randomly generate numbers in excel.
It can generate evenly distributed numbers between 0 and 1.
Every time when you refresh your worksheet calculations, it will return a new random number.
In below example, I have entered the random numbers in range using RAND Function.
There is no argument to input in RAND.
Additional Information on Excel RAND Function
- RAND is a volatile function which will recalculate whenever workbook is open or calculation made. In simple words, whenever you hit enter or refresh your workbook it will recalculate the values.
- If you don’t want RAND to recalculate numbers, you can convert those number into values by using paste special or after entering RAND Function into the cell press F9 (In Edit Mode).
- To enter the random numbers in a selected range.
- Just select the range first, then type =RAND() & press Ctrl + Enter.
- By using RAND you can also generate random percentage from 0% to 100%.
In above example, I have used RAND Function to create a formula which will generate random numbers between 50 & 100.
You can also use RANDBETWEEN function to generate random numbers between two number.
To learn more about Excel MID Function you can check Microsoft’s help section.
There are also some functions like ABS which is also highly useful.
And, if you have a unique idea to use rand function, I would love to hear from you.