Use Excel MAX Function to get the largest value from a specified set of values.
In simple words, It will return the highest value from a set of numbers given. For example, from 10, 20, 25, 30 it will return 30 in the result as 30 is the largest value from the given set of values.
MAX(number1, [number2], …)
- number1 A number, a cell which has a number or a range of cells having numbers from which you want to get the largest number.
- [number2] A number, a cell which has a number or a range of cells having numbers from which you want to get the largest number.
More Information on Excel MAX Function
- You can refer to a single cell, a named range, a range of cells or an array.
- If there are no numbers in specified arguments it will return 0.
- If there is text or an error value in the argument, it will return #N/A.
- If you directly enter a logical value or a text which represents a number into the function, that will be counted.
- It will only consider numeric values. Empty cells, text & logical values in a reference or in an array will be ignored.
- The maximum number of arguments you can refer is 255.
In the below example, we have entered numbers directly into the function by separating them using a comma. You can also enter a number by using double quotation marks.
In the below example, we have referred to a range and it has return 1861 in the result as the largest value. You can also refer to an array as well.
In the below example, I have encountered with an error value and function has returned an error value in the result.
To learn more about Excel MAX Function you can check Microsoft’s Help Section. And, if you have a unique idea to use it, I would love to hear from you.
There is also you have MIN function which is highly useful. Apart from this, I have a list of excel functions and some real life formulas examples.