This is the best way to create a hyperlink in excel. Yes, the best way.
You are already familiar with HYPERLINKS in Excel, HYPERLINK Function is just like that but with some additional powers. It’s more convenient, fast, and easy to change or edit.
- Link_Location Location for which you want to add a HYPERLINK. It can be further split into two terms.
- link: It can be an address of a cell or range of cells in the same worksheet or in any other worksheet or may be in any other workbook. We can also link a bookmark from a word document.
- location: It can be a link to a hard drive, a server using UNC path, or any URL from internet or intranet. (In Excel online you can only use web address for HYPERLINK Function). You can insert a link to the function by inserting it as a text with quotation marks or by referring to a cell containing the link as a text. Make sure to use “HTTP://” before a web address.
- [friendly_name] It is an optional part of this function. It acts as a face of the connected link.
- You can use any type of text, number, or both.
- You also refer to a cell which contains the friendly_name.
- If you skip it, the function will use link address to display.
- If friendly_name returns an error, the function will display error.
- Link a file saved on a Web Address: You can use a file which is saved on a web address. This helps us to share the file in an effective way.
- Link a file saved on a hard drive: You can also use this function while working offline. You can link a file which is stored on your hard drive and access them through your single excel sheet, no need to go to every single folder to open them.
- Link a Word Document File: This is also an awesome feature of HYPERLINK function. You can link a Word document file or a specific place in word document file using a bookmark.
- Link a file without using Friendly Name: If you want to show the actual link to the file or place to the user. In this situation, you just need to skip the friendly name declaration in the HYPERLINK Function.
In the below example, we have linked to a cell in a file which is stored on OneDrive. You can use hyperlink function to share files which are stored on OneDrive.
In the below example, we have used hyperlink function to link to a specific range in a file which is saved on the desktop folder on my laptop and when I click on this link, it open that file and navigate to that range.
To learn more about Excel HYPERLINK Function you can check Microsoft’s Help Section. And, if you have a unique idea to use the hyperlink function, I would love to hear from you.