Excel COUNT Function to count cells which have numbers. In simple words, it will only return the count of cells which have numbers and ignore all the other cell.
COUNT(value1, [value2], …)
- value1 A cell reference, an array or a number which is directly entered into the function.
- [value2] A cell reference, an array or a number which is directly entered into the function.
- You can specify up to 255 arguments.
- It can count numbers, dates and text which represent numbers.
- If you enter a logical value or text representation of a number directly into the function it will count them.
- Text and ERROR values will be ignored.
- If you specify a reference or an array, count function will only return the number of cells which have a numeric value.
In the below example, we have used this function to count cells from the range A1:A10 and it has return 8 in the result.
In cell A3, we have a logical value and in cell A7 we have a text. Count function has ignored both of the cells.
But, if you enter a logical value directly into the function it will count it. In the below example, we have inserted a logical value and a number using double quotation marks.