Excel Now Function is super useful.
You can use NOW Function to insert current date & time in excel.
It will insert a valid date & time in a cell which will update every time you recalculate your worksheet.
Syntax for Excel NOW Function
There is no argument in NOW Function. But you have to enter empty parentheses.
- Now is a volatile function & will update every time when a recalculation is done.
- As it is a volatile function, it can effect on the processing speed of your calculation.
- It enters a valid serial number of current data & time as per excel’s date & time system.
- When you enter this function in a cell it will convert the format of the cell into a custom format (m/d/yyyy h:mm).
- To enter a static current date & time you can use keyboard shortcut key CTRL + SHIFT + : (Current Time) & CTRL + : (Current Date) to enter current date.
Examples to understand
- In the first example, I have used TEXT Function along with now to extract current time from it.
- In the second example, I have changed the format of the cell to “General”. The number before decimal is the current date & number after the decimal is the time.
You can use NOW with other functions to create dynamic formulas where you have to