Text-To-Speech In Excel is an option allows you to make excel speak what you have typed in your spreadsheet. In simple words, excel will speak the text from your spreadsheet. It was firstly integrated into Excel 2002, but with some reasons it was pushed back in behind the scenes from Excel 2007.
How To Activate?
To Make Excel Talk we have to activate the text to speech option in excel.
- Click on File -> Options -> Customize Ribbon. And, You will get the following window.
- Select “Main Tab” from the drop-down option.
- Now, Select the home tab, add a new group.
- Rename the new group with “Speech”. And, Choose ‘Commands Not In Ribbon” from “Chose Commands From” option.
- Now, Select all 5 commands starting with “Speak” & add them to the new group. Click OK.
- Now, You have a new group with 5 options in your home tab.
- Speak Cells: After clicking speak cell, it will start to read the text in the selected range. If you don’t select any range, it will automatically expand to the neighbor cells having value.
- Stop Speaking: TTS will stop speaking after clicking this.
- By Columns: After enabling “By Column” option, TTS will read the text by columns. In simple word, it will read the text in the vertical direction.
- By Rows: After enabling “By Column” option TTS will read the text by rows. In simple word, it will read the text in the horizontal direction.
- On entering: TTS will speak the text from the cell, every time you hit enter.
How to Change Voice Type in Text To Speech?
You can also change the voice type using control panel of your windows.
Control Panel -> Speech Recognition -> Text-To-Speech.
You can use this method to make excel speak for you.
Text To Speech In Excel is a useful feature where you want to create some interactive reports in your spreadsheets. And, moreover, it is very helpful for persons who have the disability to read & speak.