How to use Excel EOMONTH Function
What it Does
You can use EOMONTH to get the last day of a month which is a number of months before and after the start date.
What it Returns
It returns a number representing the future or past date from the date you have specified.
For example, if you specify 16-Jan-2016 as a start date & 5 as the number of months. And, Excel EOMONTH Function will return 30-Jun-2016 in the result. Because June is 5 months after January and last day of June is 30.
- start_date A valid date from where you want to start your calculation.
- months Number of months you want to calculate before and after the start date.
- If the start date which you have provided is not a valid date it returns #NUM!.
- After adding or subtracting months from the start date, if that date is invalid EOMONTH Function will return #NUM!.
- This function is smart enough to check the total number days while giving last day of a month. It doesn’t matter if there is 30 days, 31 days or 29 days in a month.
Here in the below examples we have used this EOMONTH with different types of arguments.