By using Excel TODAY Function you can insert the current date in a cell. It will give you the current date which will update every time you recalculate your worksheet.
In the below example, I have deducted 1 day from today’s date to get yesterday’s date.
- It has no arguments. You just have to put blank parentheses.
More Information on Excel TODAY Function
- It is a volatile function which will recalculate every time a calculation in performed.
- Today function returns a valid date serial number as per excel’s date system & you can use this date further with other calculations.
- When you enter today function in a cell where you have “General” number format, excel will convert that format into date format once you enter your formula.
- To enter a static date in a cell you can use the shortcut key Control + ;.
In the below example, I have used today function with other functions to get current month number, current year & current day.
You can use this function with other function to create some dynamic formulas. The best example is when you need the current date in your formula, you can use today and you don’t have to enter date every time.
A simple use of today is for calculating a person’s age.
To learn more about Excel TODAY Function you can check Microsoft’s Help Section. And, if you have a unique idea to use it, I would love to hear from you.