What is the use of Excel MIN Function?
Use Excel MIN Function to get the smallest value from a specified set of values. In simple words, It will return the smallest value from a set of numbers given. For example, from 10, 20, 25, 30 it will return 10 in the result as 10 is the smallest value from the given set of values.
Syntax for Excel MIN Function
MIN(number1, [number2], …)
number1 A number, a cell which has a number or a range of cells having numbers from which you want to get the smallest number. [Required]
[number2] A number, a cell which has a number or a range of cells having numbers from which you want to get the smallest number. [Optional]
More Information on Excel MIN Function
- You can refer to a single cell, a named range, a range of cells or an array.
- If there are no numbers in specified arguments it will return 0.
- If there is text or an error value in the argument, it will return #N/A.
- If you directly enter a logical value or a text which represents a number into the function, that will be counted.
- It will only consider numeric values. Empty cells, text & logical values in a reference or in an array will be ignored.
- The maximum number of arguments you can refer is 255.
Examples to understand Excel MIN Function
In above example, I have entered numbers directly into the function by separating them using a comma. You can also enter a number by using double quotation marks. It will consider them as a number.
n above example, I have refers to a range & it has return 1861 in the result as the largest value. You can also refer to an array as well.
In above example, I have encountered with an error value & function has returned an error value in the result.
Download Sample File
Use Excel MIN Function to get the smallest value from a set of numeric values. Learn more about MIN from here.