Use Excel ISFORMULA Function to test if a cell contains a formula & return TRUE else it will return FALSE. In simple words, you can check if a cell has a formula or not.
- reference A cell reference which you want to evaluate.
More Information on Excel ISFORMULA Function
- If cell reference is not a valid reference it will return #VALUE!.
- You can also use the shortcut key Control + ~ to display all the formula in a worksheet.
Here I have used different arguments in this function.
- A simple addition calculation & function has return TRUE.
- A volatile function & again function has return TRUE.
- One thing you have to note that ISFORMULA is concerned with the formula in a cell not with the result of a formula. It will return TRUE even if the result of the formula is empty or an error.
- If there is any value other than formula in a cell it will return FALSE.
To learn more about Excel ISFORMULA Function you can check Microsoft’s Help Section. And, if you have a unique idea to use it, I would love to hear from you.
There is also you have ISLOGICAL function which is highly useful. Apart from this, I have a list of excel functions and some real life formulas examples.