What is the use of Excel COUNT Function?
Use Excel COUNT Function to count cells which have numbers in it. In simple words, count function will only return the count of cells which have numbers & it will ignore all the other cell.
Syntax for Excel COUNT Function
COUNT(value1, [value2], …)
value1 A cell reference, an array or a number which is directly entered into the function. [Required]
[value2] A cell reference, an array or a number which is directly entered into the function. [Optional]
More Information on Excel COUNT Function
- You can specify up to 255 arguments.
- It can count numbers, dates & text which represent numbers.
- If you enter a logical value or text representation of a number directly into the function it will count them.
- Text & error values will be ignored by count function.
- If you specify a reference or an array, count function will only return the number of cells which have a numeric value.
- Empty cells will also ignore by count function.
Examples to understand Excel COUNT Function
In above example, I have used count function to count cells from range A1:A10 and it has return 8 in the result. In cell A3 we have a logical value and in cell A7 we have a text. Count function has ignored both of the cells.
As I have already mentioned that if you enter a logical value directly into the function it will count that value. In above example, I have inserted a logical value & a number using double quotation marks.
Count function has recognized both of the values & returned 2 in the result.
Download Sample File
Use Excel COUNT Function to count cells which have numeric values. Learn more about using COUNT Function in excel from here.